Saturday, March 19, 2011

Restaurant Review #4: An Amazing Burger, and an Interview With a 'Chopped' Star -EXCLUSIVE-

Name: Poppy's
Location: Beacon, NY
Prices: Very Reasonable
Food: The brown paper and scribbled-on foil say nothing about this burger joint. Once you unwrap what's inside, your tongue will love you.

Chopped. One of my all-time favorite shows on the Food Network. Each chef that is chosen for it has their own story to tell, their own battle to fight, and their own strengths to use to try at the goal of being Chopped Champion, as well as nabbing a check for $10K.

Well, unfortunately for you, I'm not here to give you the narration of an episode. I'll give you something different, something better -- a journey into the world of one such restaurant belonging to a Chopped Champion.

Beacon is one of my favorite spots in New York State. With it's consignment shops, little cafes, art galleries, and such, it's a great little getaway for several hours or a whole day. However, with all the times going there (I have been visiting relatives in the area since I was born), I managed to overlook a little burger joint that, only three years ago, had opened up on Main Street. It's name is Poppy's, owned by a Mr. Paul Yeaple, who just recently competed on the Chopped and went on to the show's finals. Unfortunately, he was cut out of the race, but to make it that far is quite the feat.

Tonight, it was to be the dinner destination for me and my parents. Walking into the building, which could only seat probably around 20-25 people, I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw that Paul himself was working the cash register. This was a time when yours truly was actually nervous.

He doesn't want to talk to some kid, I thought. And he probably gets asked about being on the Food Network all the time. Are you really gonna annoy him with pointless conversation?

And then we were at the front of the line. Allow me to illustrate what happened next...



Mom: *pushes me forward* This young lady over here is my 'Food Network' child. She loves Chopped!

Me: *glare* Talk about sabotage...

Paul: *laughs* Nah, it's cool. Trust me, hun, I get just as embarrassed when people ask me about the show as you are now. *points out blushing and flustered look on my face* So, ask away; I'm all ears.



...Wait, say what? He was ACTUALLY going to hear me out? My throat caught in my throat, and for a moment, I felt silly being this anxious around Paul. So, with a deep breath, I asked him a bit about the show.



Me: So, could you just give me a little...look into what it was like being on the show?

Paul: Well, to be honest, the first two months before going on the air were the real hell. Just being nervous about actually showing up, what to expect, stuff like that. And then, I was on the show, got my fifteen second introduction, and the first basket was right in my face. And once I opened it...man, it was like a walk in the park. I just thought, "I can do thiiiiis~!"

Me: What about business? I mean, surely being on the show got your name out.

Paul: Not really my name. More like the name of the restaurant. *laughs* I mean, being in the Hudson Valley, right here in Beacon, it's the perfect spot, with the train station a walk away and the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge not far off. I mean, just a few days ago, we had a tour bus full of Asian people come around, snapping pictures of everything, looking around. I mean, it's great that I was on the show and people are coming in to see me and see what I can do. I want to show everyone that I can take the freshest ingredients and turn them into a great, simple product that everyone will love.



Well, that settled it. I had to get my hands on a Poppy's burger. My dad and I ordered BBQ Bacon Burgers (mine with jalapenos), and my mother ordered a Classic Big (standard double burger) with jalapeno aioli. We also ordered some fries and sweet potato chips to go with the burgers. While we waited, I engaged Paul in a little more conversation about the show, along with some side-trips to cooking and art. Turns out his sister is an artist, and a good amount of her creations are hanging on the walls of Poppy's for the customers to gaze at. She definitely has a whimsical side to her creativity, something I admire in other artists.

After the conversation had died down, and after a drink and a round or two of pinball (for the record, the song 'Pinball Wizard' may get you into the mood, but you can't win a game from it, ever), the burgers came to our table. All wrapped up in shiny foil and ready to be devoured, I tore open the burger's packaging like a present was held inside and immediately brought it to my lips. The first thing I noticed: the liquid dripping down my fingers and wrists just from gripping the burger. After cleaning with a quick lick or two, I noticed something else: the liquid wasn't grease, it was JUICE! Now that's the mark of a good burger. Stomach growling, I took my first bite...

Cue Erasure's song, 'Always.'

A tender, juicy patty. Light cheese that didn't cling to the tongue. Crisp, fresh jalapenos that packed just enough heat. Thick, crispy bacon. And house-made barbecue sauce, just sweet enough with just the right amount of a vinegary zing to it. All on a sesame seed bun that felt like it was lighter than air. This place, my friends, is truly a burger mecca. In short, homina homina homina...

NOW I KNOW WHY THIS DUDE WAS ON CHOPPED! DAMN, HE'S GOOD.

The fries were pretty good, your standard, hand-cut French fries. But the sweet potato chips were the real side-dish attraction. Sooooo light and crispy~ And thin as can be. I wouldn't mind janking a couple more bags from the joint to take home and eat on another day (they do hold for a while).

The prices were also very reasonable, too. Absolutely NOTHING was over ten dollars, unless you loaded your burger with everything on the 'toppings' menu.

Speaking of toppings, the jalapeno aioli is absolutely brilliant. I had stolen a bite from my mother's burger, and this topping just seems to make everything else on the burger melt onto your tongue. It's got a hint of spice, but you can taste the garlic, which had to be roasted, in it.

To all those who plan on dining at Poppy's, be cautious of what time it is. Wednesday through Saturday, the hours are 12-8PM. On Sundays, 12-6PM. On Mondays and Tuesdays, CLOSED. We all love to eat late on weekend nights. Just...don't make it too late, m'kay? You can even call for takeout. And make sure to say hello to Paul -- he's a great person to get to know while you wait for your meal! For more information on Poppy's, you can visit their website at http://www.poppyburger.com, or call them at (845) 765-2121.

Peace, love, and chocolate
Kayla~

1 comment:

  1. I love your writing style, hun. Truly magnificent. Even as someone who has an extreme aversion to consuming all things animal, I may have to try one of these burgers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete